The typical Denver roof with leaks or wall that shows signs of humidity can become a health hazard if you do not pay enough attention to it. These every day and seemingly harmless signs can be the perfect breeding ground for toxic mold to grow. This type of mold can seriously affect your health, producing allergies, rashes, dizziness or fatigue.

The problem is that most people do not realize that they are exposed to this type of mold and usually attribute the symptoms of their ailments to other types of disorders. It is important to understand where and why mold is formed, as well as the symptoms that occur under its exposure in order to protect ourselves.

Mold can grow almost anywhere: on wood, leather, in plaster and more. All it needs to grow is moisture and oxygen, which is why mold usually appears in those areas of the house where there is water, such as bathrooms and kitchens. If you think you need help, contact a Denver mold removal team.

In general, the first sign that helps occupants detect the presence of mold is the characteristic smell of humidity. Additional signs include the appearance of moisture spots on the wall, soiled floors or discolored carpets.

A number of symptoms can indicate a possible exposure to toxic mold in your home. These include:

– Fatigue and weakness
– A headache and sensitivity to light
– Difficulty concentrating
– Pain in the joints
– Changes in appetite
– Increased urinary frequency or thirst
– Red eyes, blurred vision or sweating
– An unusual sensation in the skin like tingling or numbness
– Difficulty breathing, nasal congestion or a chronic cough

Key signs

1. Musty smell

If you detect a musty smell, there is humidity in the home. A level of excessive humidity in the environment will soak everything and make things smell wet: clothes, books, sheets, drawers.

Oftentimes, homeowners do not realize that they have a humidity problem until it is too late. Preventing moisture problems is the best remedy to avoid corrosion problems, rust or stains. Is it possible to detect a moisture problem before incurring major losses?

The furniture should not be placed against walls as this reduces air circulation and creates condensation. When furniture is in contact with the walls, the mold they contain can penetrate into different layers and produce an unpleasant musty smell. Similarly, wood furniture promotes the growth of mold as it absorbs water generated by moisture from walls and air.

2. Condensation on the windows

Mold develops due to excessive indoor moisture usually in damp places. As a result, it tends to manifest around windows. When cold air comes in contact with the window, condensation will appear. It can infiltrate different parts of the structure and, as a result, grow in the area between the frame and the wall.

It is the source of most moisture problems in the home. Do you get up in the morning and the window frame is wet? Do the walls sweat? Do not doubt it for a moment. You have a moisture problem due to condensation.

This occurs because the interior air contains excessive moisture, which is condensed and transformed into the water when it finds a cooler surface. One of the main consequences of condensation moisture is the appearance of mold.

3. Damage to walls and ceilings

Cracked or peeled paint, swelling of wallpaper or paint are all signs of potential humidity problems due to excess moisture on your wall or ceiling. When you take a closer look, you may notice small amounts of mold forming. Mildew on the ceiling is often manifested by discoloration of the paint. Mold and moisture on the walls can be a thorny problem as it can develop under wallpaper or insulation.

Peeling paint or swelling of the wallpaper are clear signs of excess moisture in your home.

4. Mold in bathrooms and kitchens

When small rooms, such as bathrooms and kitchens are not sufficiently ventilated, the indoor humidity tends to increase. This excess moisture can cause mold in the shower and the kitchen. If you are faced with this damage, do not hesitate to place a moisture absorber at home to restore a proper and comfortable level of humidity.

The bathroom is often the most humid room in your home. A moisture absorber can help you control excess moisture. The problem also necessitates hiring mold removal experts.

5. Mold in HVAC systems

Air conditioning is perhaps the best place to look for mold problems. Mold colonies are likely to form around the air inlet or on the air filter and spread in the system to enter each room.

Have you noticed any of these signs and are you worried that the humidity is too high in your home? A mold removal expert can be a good solution to avoid or start to get rid of these problems as they will help reduce the excess moisture inside.

Types of mold

There are literally millions of different strains of fungi and several hundred of these strains are pathogenic to humans. Most people detect mold by its appearance but not all types of mold are black or green. It turns out that the color is irrelevant and is only, in fact, one of the ways they have to manifest. By the time the mold is visible, there is probably already a problem with the air quality of the room.

Apart from the appearance, what other ways are there to identify if the mold has invaded the house and is making the tenants sick? The smell is an excellent identification criterion since it is related to something called volatile organic compounds of microbial origin. These compounds are perceptible to smell because they are usually alcohol-based chemical compounds.

Alternaria: Normally this mold affects the nose, mouth or upper respiratory tract causing symptoms that are similar to allergies. Aspergillus: It is usually found in extremely hot and humid climates. This type of mold produces mycotoxins that can cause lung infections.

Cladosporium: This fungus is common outdoors and can easily grow in porous materials, such as elements created from textiles or wood. It causes hay fever and some symptoms typical of asthmatic diseases. Penicillium: This variant is a common species of mold found generally in fabrics, carpets and some insulating elements of the house. This type of mold is known to cause allergies and asthma.

Stachybotrys: This type of mold is especially toxic, also known as black mold, produces some microtoxins that can cause serious respiratory problems and bleed from the lungs among other symptoms. This mold could appear on materials, such as wood or paper.

The formation of humidity and mold in the home is a problem that afflicts millions of buildings that for various reasons, such as the presence of unsolved thermal bridges, is manifested by unpleasant blotches on the walls or damage to the plaster. The problem of humidity in homes is not only aesthetic but also, above all, a health hazard.

The inconvenience of mold formation on walls is not easy to solve through mold removal and the topic is not trivial. Misconceptions can easily arise on the subject. The formation of mold on the wall of a Denver house is an indication of moisture rising from the wall.